Thursday, December 15, 2005

Jet lag blues

Jet lag is killing me. I had no problem when I went to Japan: I was able to sleep on the plane, and though I was a bit groggy the first day, I quickly got into the swing of things. Then, of course, I was in a new, fascinating place, and on vacation; now I'm in San Francisco, dealing with responsibilities and stuff. Or, trying to deal, though I keep falling asleep.

I have a few last shots of Tokyo.

I found this place walking in my neighborhood in Morishita. It's kind of rare you find a place as odd as this in the more conservative eastern area of Tokyo. Anyway, thought it was hilarious. I went to their website, and yet I'm still not sure what they do.

Two nights before I left I went out with Yuko and Sachi again, in Shibuya. Sachi arranged it, and made sure it was all you can drink: she knows I like my beer. It was a good, if somewhat sad, time. Not much gets Yuko down, though, as you can see in the picture.




Finally, the night before I left Takatoshi took a break from his final graduation paper to take me for a drive around the city. I hadn't been to Odaiba yet, so we went there, among other places. The picture above is of Odaiba.

The next day, Takashi (NB: Takashi and Takatoshi are two different people) went with me, despite a terrible hangover - he ended up throwing up on the train! Poor guy. We'd hoped to grab a meal together before we left, but I had various problems come up because I changed my ticket and there just wasn't enough time and, well, Takashi just had things come up... Next time's on me, Takashi.

I haven't done much since I got back, but I've continued to take pictures. I feel a little weird: I've lived in SF for almost six years, so SF seems mundane, and yet there certainly are a bunch of beautiful places here (duh).

This first is from the Taqueria Cancun, the best burrito place in the world, maybe. I had actually ordered, waited for, and eaten half of a burrito before I noticed this new display.

I'm staying at my friend Amanda's place this week, in the Sunset; she, by coincidence, is in Kansas this week, so I've got a room to myself for the first time in nearly six months.

Her place is near this church.


Amanda's place is also near the best part of San Francisco, other than its proximity to Mt. Tamalpais: Golden Gate park. I always find something new if I let myself wander (and it's hard not to wander there). This area made me think maybe I'd see a brontosaurus come out of the water.



The quaint Shakespeare garden.



My travels aren't over yet.

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.
- Tolkien

No comments: